🥖 Provide Nutritious Food Parcels to Families in Palestine & Lebanon
This project is an expansion of the work PaliRoots and MECA have been doing together to address malnutrition in children caused by the Israeli occupation and the siege on Gaza. With the growing economic and political crises in Lebanon, we want to expand our food parcel initiatives also to Palestinian refugees living in Lebanon. Now is the time we stand side by side and use our voices to collectively provide food parcels to families who need it most. 😓
We partnered with the Middle East Children's Alliance (MECA) team for our Feed Palestine & Lebanon: Ramadan Food Parcels project. There are many contributing factors affecting the food insecurity in Gaza and Lebanon Refugee camps: the high cost of living, low household incomes, and high unemployment compound each other. The prolonged period of slow economic growth, restrictions on movement, trade, investment and access to land and water resources, together with higher food prices, continue to erode the fragile livelihoods of impoverished Palestinians.
The fresh food parcels will include items locally produced based on the seasonal crop yield and will fit the basic family needs and the parcel unit cost. The parcel will include items such as potatoes, onions, eggplants, cucumbers, dates, chicken, processed food. Items and quantities will be specified based on product availability, price and beneficiaries needs. Women’s cooperative products will be included within the parcel when applicable.
The food parcels are designed to feed a family for 2 weeks and provide all their nutritional needs.
Each Parcel includes:
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 4 cans of ful (fava beans)
- 2 liters of cooking oil
- 0.5 kg yellow processed cheese
- 1 bottle of tahini
- 1 kg of lentils
- 2 kg rice
- 1 box of halawa
- 1 kg white beans
- 2 kg maftoul (Palestinian couscous)
- Dates or zaatar
- 2 chickens
- Fresh seasonal vegetables
PaliRoots & MECA Stats:
- In 2020, PaliRoots provided healthy meals to 450 children in Gaza. When schools were closed during lockdowns, food parcels were provided to these families instead so the children could continue to have healthy meals while staying safe at home.
- In 2021, after the brutal Israeli attacks on Gaza, PaliRoots provided emergency aid to families. The PaliRoots Meal Program Emergency Support provided food parcels to 3,144 families whose homes were partially or completely destroyed, people who lost their source of income (for example shop owners whose shops were damaged or destroyed), people who are day laborers and unable to earn an income during the attacks, and any large families with the parents unemployed. 1.7 million meals where donated to 11 schools across Gaza supporting over 774 children over the next 4 years.
- In 2021 & 2022, 1900 food parcels were provided to the families of children diagnosed with malnutrition through our pilot nutrition clinic project.
THE DISTRIBUTION PROCESS
Food Is a Human Right
Families in Gaza and refugees in Lebanon will be the main beneficiaries of the project. MECA and our partners will distribute food parcels to families in need. Priority will be given to female-headed households, large families, families who are living in poverty. The exact number of families will be calculated after the fundraising campaign. 40 farmers and women’s cooperatives will also benefit from the project by purchasing their goods at a fair price.
Lebanon: Beirut and Bekaa Valley
The blessings you will attain for helping provide basic needs for families is that which words cannot amount to.
Why Should I Donate?
Doing Good Has Never Been Easier
❤️ To help the Children in Palestine
🇵🇸 To support the local economy
❤️ To protect your blessings (Zakat Eligable)
🇵🇸 It makes you feel so good ️
❤️ To empower the community
🇵🇸 It's Tax-Deductible
❤️ Teach your children to be generous
🇵🇸 Remove the burden from families who are not financially sustainable
📣 We cannot do this alone! This is why your power is needed today. Donate and please amplify your impact by inspiring your friends and family to donate and share this campaign as well. WhatsApp and Facebook groups are a POWERFUL way to spread the word. Encourage everyone to spread the word so that our mission is made known to all those who are able to eagerly contribute.
*Depending on the final donation amount, we will negotiate and find the best suitable factories to work with. The per parcel amount is an estimated cost and can either be slightly higher or slightly lower depending on the final donation amount.