How to Make Delicious Knafeh (Middle Eastern Sweet Cheese Dessert)
Mr. Halawa's Knafeh Recipe
1 Pack of Kataifi Filo Dough - Shredded
3 Blocks of Ackawi Cheese
Mozzarella or Sweet Curd Cheese - 0.75lb
1 Tbsp PUC Cheese - Optional
2 Cups of Sugar
4-5 Tbsp of Ghee
1 Stick of Butter
Crushed Pistachio For Topping
- Grind the dough using a food processor or blender or manually with your hands
- Mix all the cheese in one bowl. Crush them with a fork to make the cheeses smaller.
- Add PUC to the cheese mix. This will give the knafeh a creamy consistency - optional.
- It’s best you use your hands to mix the cheese with the PUC by squeezing the mixture through your palms. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix the butter and ghee. Microwave until fully melted.
- Get a pan and ghee it up - be generous coating the pan. Don’t forget the edges.
- Sprinkle sugar all over the pan.
- Add the rest of the sugar and melted butter in the Filo dough. Mix with hands.
- Spread the dough evenly over the pan - save some dough for the end. Pat the dough into the pan & flatten evenly.
- Add the cheese evenly over the flat dough. Pat down the cheese into the dough.
- Use the leftover dough to add a small layer on top of the cheese.
- There are two methods for cooking your knafeh:
- Stove Top Method
- Set heat to medium & hand spin evenly fr 20 minutes
- Oven Method - easier
- Set the oven to 350F
- Put the knafeh inside the oven for 30 mins
- Take out the knafeh and flip the knafeh with another pan - see video above for a visual reference.
- Add Atir, sugar liquid, onto the knafeh - optional
- Top of with crushed pistachios
Thank you to The Nut House USA for supporting the Second Annual Knafeh Competiton!